Aquatic Training Options for the Collegiate, Professional & Elite Athlete
Taught By: Garry Killgore, PhD
August 13-14 , 2010
Sorry, you missed this one!
View 2012 classes instead
A 4-hr ATU Bootcamp is offered at no additional cost immediately prior to this class (see next column for schedule). This class is required before taking any ATU course (current water-gurus excepted).
ABOUT THIS 2 DAY CLINICAL- INTENSIVE SEMINAR
A 18 hr. training module packed into 2 days (4 hr. Boot Camp plus 14 hr. main course). Designe to teach the therapist, trainer, coach and athlete how to capitalize on both deep and shallow water. Includes samples of hard-core aquatic training regimes for the uninjured athlete, active recovery drills, and post-injury rehab protocols.
Appropriate for therapists and trainers working with individual sport athletes (such as triathletes or marathoners) and those working with team sports (such as football or volleyball).
Includes instruction in the following hands-on aquatic techniques: shallow water plyometrics, deep and shallow running drills, agility drills, vertical acceleration training, edema control and management, and more.
1. Describe why water-based training is essential for the injured and healthy collegiate, elite and professional athlete. Be able to identify and locate supportive research to bolster case (lecture).
2. Design a mock seasonal training schedule incorporating aquatics into the following: (a) during-the-week training; (b) post-injury; (c) immediately after games/ races/events; (d) for active recovery (lecture)
3. Describe the optimum pool temperatures and depths necessary for the following: (a) during-the-week training; (b) post-injury; (c) immediately after games/races/events; (d) for active recovery (lecture)
4. Describe 2-3 hydrodynamic (sheer, compression, etc.) and thermal forces at work when equipment is incorporated into an aquatic program. Describe 1-2 errors made by coaches/trainers/therapists who use equipment for athletic training or rehab (lecture)
5. Craft a shallow- and deep- water workout tailored specifically for at least 1 of the following:
6. With a partner, design and implement a 15-minute aquatic therapy plan (including equipment selection) designed to rehab 1 of the following diagnoses:
7. With a partner, design and implement a 15-minute aquatic training plan (including equipment selection) designed to improve 1-2 of the following skills:
- Post stress fracture of weight-bearing bone
- Post surgical repair of LE cartilage, ligament, capsule or muscle
- Post surgical repair of UE cartilage, ligament, capsule or muscle
- Strength and ROM
- Speed and explosive power
- Cardiorespiratory endurance
- Sport-specific skill (stride length, vertical acceleration, etc.)
Friday AM (Bootcamp)
10:30-1:15 Pool lab
Friday PM (Main course)
5:00-9:00 Pool lab
12:45-3:30 Pool lab
3:30-4:00 Energy break
4:00-6:30 Pool lab
Due to unforeseen circumstances or events, ATU schedules, instructors
or venues are subject to change without notice.
The final date for refunds (minus $175 reseating fee) for cancellations by students is 2 wks before class start date. No refunds given for cancellations after this date.